Specsavers Streamlines Internal Auditing Process with Mindjet
Added: (Wed Apr 21 2010)
Pressbox (Press Release) -
London, UK, 21 April 2010 – Mindjet®, the leading provider of collaboration and personal productivity solutions that visually connect ideas, information and people, today announced that Specsavers has implemented Mindjet MindManager 8 to streamline its internal auditing process.
Internal auditing processes can be complex and lengthy. Specsavers was looking for a tool that would reduce the time spent reporting, organise all components of the review process in one place and increase flexibility. With more than 500 employees at Specsavers’ headquarters in Guernsey and around 26,000 worldwide, the company has more than 1,500 stores and has been voted the UK’s Most Trusted Optician for the past eight years.
MindManager 8 allows Specsavers to develop templates for audit assignments and follow up reviews, allowing for all documents to be stored in a single map, simplifying the auditing process. Specsavers has created map parts specific for the organisation to make it easier when holding and scheduling meetings, recording interview details and running tests. Additionally, all the guidance and instructions for the review process can be embedded into templates for individual review sections.
“Mindjet was brought to my attention just over 12 months ago by a friend mine who runs a successful IT business here in Guernsey,” said Jonathan Lake, Internal Audit Manager, Specsavers. “The tool is inexpensive, very flexible, easy to learn and delivers high quality output with minimal effort. Since implementation, I would estimate we have saved up to two days from the report collation, review and publication phase of its work cycle.”
The team’s new reporting layout takes advantage of MindManager 8’s ability to export to Microsoft Word. The documents and maps can be published to a secure intranet site for external auditors, who now can look at any element of the review process in a single document. MindManager 8 allows Specsavers to host working paper, discovery items such as PDFs and spreadsheets in one central location, removing the complex folder structure previously in place on Specsavers’ network.
Since the implementation in the Internal Audit department, the software has been trialled by the Continuous Improvement teams in Nottingham and Guernsey and is being used by the Guernsey based Business Development and Communications teams.
“Specsavers’ implementation of MindManager 8 demonstrates the power of visually organising, managing and communicating information. We’re pleased to see that MindManager has vastly simplified Specsavers’ internal auditing process, and that the company is now introducing MindManager in other areas of the business,” said Chris Harman, director, NEWS Region, Mindjet.
Mindjet provides collaboration and personal productivity solutions that visually connect ideas, information and people to save time, improve business processes and drive innovation. Mindjet is the only company to combine a visual productivity application (mind mapping) with a comprehensive collaboration platform. So whether you are driving the sales process, managing a project, building a strategic plan, running a brainstorming session, conducting a meeting, or simply getting organised, Mindjet helps you succeed with almost any business or personal productivity challenge.
Used by more than 1.5 million professionals around the world in 48 of Business Week’s 50 “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” Mindjet solutions dramatically boost productivity and team effectiveness. Surveys across several industries show that Mindjet can increase productivity by up to 25 percent by making meetings, common communications and project management tasks more efficient and effective. Mindjet’s software and web-based solutions include the world’s leading visual productivity application, document and file sharing, secure workspaces and web conferencing. Mindjet products are available for free trial or purchase at www.mindjet.com/products/overview or through an extensive partner network at www.mindjet.com/community/partners/overview. Founded in 1997, Mindjet is headquartered in San Francisco and has offices throughout the U.S., Europe and Asia
• Specsavers was founded by Doug and Dame Mary Perkins in 1984 and is now the largest privately owned opticians in the world
• The couple still run the company, along with their three children. Their son John is joint managing director
• Specsavers has more than 1,500 stores throughout the UK, Ireland, the Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Spain, Australia and New Zealand.
• Annual turnover for the Specsavers Group is forecast to reach a record £1.4 billion in 2009/10
• Specsavers optical stores and hearing centres are owned and run by joint venture or franchise partners.
• Specsavers employs more than 26,000 staff
• Specsavers was voted Britain’s most trusted brand of opticians for the eighth year running by Reader’s Digest in 2009
• Greater than one in three people who wear glasses in the UK buy them from Specsavers * – 9,700,000 glasses were exported from the warehouse to stores in 2009
• Specsavers share by volume of the total optical market (including retailers that are not opticians) is 35%. Our share of the opticians market is 38%.*
• Specsavers is the largest retail provider of home delivery contact lenses in Europe and one of the top two retail suppliers of continuous wear lenses in the world
• Specsavers is now the largest retail dispenser of digital hearing aids in the UK and offer a hearing service from more than 400 locations.
• Specsavers supports numerous optical and hearing charities, including Guide Dogs and Hearing Dogs for Deaf People. During their three year support for Diabetes UK they raised more than £250,000 to fund research into diabetic retinopathy
• Since 2003 more than a quarter of a million glasses have been collected and recycled by Specsavers stores for Vision Aid Overseas for use in developing countries
*GfK Home Audit (Dec 2008)