Welsh Assembly to fly Flag of " Rebel Prince"
Added: (Mon May 21 2001)
Pressbox (Press Release) -
The Year 2000 in Wales marked the 600th anniversary of the proclamation of Prince Owain Glyndwr as Prince of Wales, this event took place at an assembly of Welsh Nobles on 16th september 1400. These Nobles regarded by some as the founding Fathers of the welsh Nation were also to decide to call for a war of National liberation - to restore the freedom and liberties the Welsh had lost through the conquest of their land by Edward I in 1282.Thus began the Great war of Welsh independance 1400 - 16 - 22. Chief events of this war were
* 1400 the Welsh rise in revolt - the war begins.
* 1401 Liberation of the Welsh Heartland - Principalities.
* 1402 liberation of lands long held by English Lords.
* 1403 Welsh victoriously end english Castle Rule of wales.
* 1404 Welsh Paliament is established and Owain crowned King
* 1405 English begins major military offensives.
* 1406 - 1410 Protracted long and bitter devastating war.
* 1410 - 16 Welsh forced back to guerrilla war strategy.
* 1416 - 22 Last Welsh guerrilla bands fight in Snowdonia.
* 1422 - 42 'Gwerin Owain' rebel outlaws continue resistance.
News 2001: September 16th is recognised as an official DYDD OWAIN GLYNDWR National day by Welsh Assemblies
decision to approve request by Embassy Glyndwr for Permission to fly 'Prince Owain Glyndwr's royal standard annualy on the 16th September.
Sian Ifan Chief Executive Embassy Glyndwr.